Yoruba Dictionary is the language that speaks widely in West Africa and most prominently Southwestern Nigeria. The total amount of the speaker is approximately 30-40 million. African culture is full of spirit. If you are the type that loves to learn about a new culture, you should learn to speak Yoruba. We notice the usefulness of learning this language for both native speakers and language learning enthusiasts. Therefore, this article will include the ten best books and dictionaries for you to easily learn from Yoruba.
You might also want to check this: Top 10 Best Study Desks In 2020
Best Yoruba Dictionary Review
10. My First Yoruba Dictionary: Colour and Learn (Yoruba kasahorow) 2nd Edition
This Yoruba dictionary is very useful for children who want to learn Yoruba. The book helps the children by the picture and the translation from Yoruba to the English language. It mostly demonstrates vocabulary.
- Suitable for multilingual children 0 to 7 years old
- A total of 114 pages
- It can be used at its best with the assistance from parents
9. Yoruba-English/ English-Yoruba Dictionary & Phrasebook
This Yoruba- English dictionary contains the vocabularies that are used every day in Yoruba. Most important, you can select any topics for instant communication with the native people.
- 4,000 dictionary entries; phonetics that are intuitive for English speakers
- Essential phrases on topics such as transportation, dining out, and business
- Concise grammar and pronunciation sections
8. Yoruba Language: The Yoruba Phrasebook and Dictionary
This Yoruba phrasebook is written by Abeni Adeola. The book collects the most common Yoruba phrases and expressions. The topics selections in the book include greetings, food items, directions, sightseeing, and many other categories.
- Total page: 108 pages
7. 1000 Words in Yoruba: First Illustrated 100 Words in Yoruba
This Yoruba dictionary is under the achievement of C.O Odejobi Ph.D. The book has a total of 1000 Yoruba words that are prepared alphabetically. This book aids the children, young adults whose understanding of some Yoruba words is limited, and for those who may have difficulty with the English meaning of the words in the Yoruba language.
- Words included are for daily use
- English words that are equivalent are carefully selected
- 194 pages in total
6. Grammar And Dictionary Of The Yoruba Language
This is the type of grammar and dictionary of Yoruba language that is written by Thomas J. Bowen. It includes the culture, the knowledge base of the civilization of Yuroba nation in the introduction. For important notice, it is a reproduction of a historical artifact that may contain missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc.
- 248pages long
5. Yoruba-English/English-Yoruba Modern Practical Dictionary Bilingual Edition
This product of a bilingual dictionary is written by Kayode J. Fakinlede with a strong background in the Yoruba language. He was born in Nigeria which Yoruba is used for daily communication and he works as a research chemist that is currently based in the United States.
- 500 pages long
- a comprehensive review of the Yoruba alphabet and tonal system
- more than 26,000 total word-to-word dictionary
- Vocabulary themes include medical terms, the basic elements, and plant and animal taxonomy
- a grammar section that includes part of speech and sentence structure
- a list of Yoruba and English word roots, prefixes, and suffixes
4. Ojo Ijapa Mura: Ojo Ijapa Gets Ready (Yoruba Edition) (Yoruba)
This Yoruba storytelling book is very effective for children to start learning the Yoruba language. Children can learn vocabulary from the story that is both in Yoruba and English language.
- Include the Yoruba culture that can be learned from the famous character Ojo Ijapa
- Best option for bedtime story
3. The Simple Way To Learn Yoruba
this book by Idowu Obasa is very useful for learning Yoruba in the fastest way. It contains a lexicon of some of the most used words in everyday Yoruba conversation. Most importantly, it corporates age-old learning techniques of repetition and rote memorization throughout the book which makes it possible to learn the language quickly.
- story mode feature include aiding the reader in a test for comprehension
- here is an accompanying audiobook
2. Colloquial Yoruba: The Complete Course for Beginners
This book is written by a qualified author namely professor Antonia Schleicher. She teaches at the Department of African Languages and Literatures at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Director of the National African Language Resource Center there. Each unit in the book includes grammatical points that reinforce a wide range of exercises for regular practice.
- help learners build up their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Jargon-free structure of explanation
- Realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of narrative situations
- An overview of the sounds of Yoruba
1. Je K`A So Yoruba 1st Edition
this learning textbook will do more job than an ordinary dictionary. It is the product of Antonia Yetunde Folarin Schleicher. The textbook is a handful for first-year students, linguists, anthropologists with specializations in Yorubaland. It integrates all basic language learning skills such as listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills to the learners.
- functional-notational approach to the study of the language
- structuring lessons around real-life functions of situations
- combines the teaching of grammatical structures with a multidimensional curriculum
The listed dictionaries or books will assist you in learning the beautiful Yoruba language. However, you should keep in mind that the varieties of the book from our recommendation serve you differently. We have included the serving purpose for both children and adult level. Therefore, we hope you could find our article useful for your references.